Studying history at NC State means making the most out of your education in your time here — and we want to help you do that every step of the way. Explore tools, tips and ways to get involved.
The NC State History Club is a chance for students to socialize over ice cream, to enjoy and discuss history-related movies, even to join in on a haunted walking tour of downtown Raleigh.
For more information on how to join and see upcoming events, visit the NC State History Club Facebook page.
Career Planning and Jobs
- Job Search Advice from alumnus Tom Stanley, Senior Marketing Manager at UNC Health Care. Learn how to build your resume, execute your job search and prepare for an interview. Also see his talking points on The History Major’s 5 Portable Skills.
- “What to Do with a B.A. in History” – part of the AHA Today blog on career planning, job market, and more.
- Careers for History Majors: A Mini Guide from the American Historical Association.
- Constance Schulz, Page Putnam Miller, Aaron Mars, and Kevin Allen, Careers for Students of History, American Historical Association, 2002.
Succeed In Your Job Search
Career Development Center
The Career Development Center has a wide array of resources to help you be informed and intentional about career choices, identify job-related aptitudes as well as internship and employment opportunities, improve your resume-writing and interviewing skills, and strengthen your job-search skills.
Tips on Writing
- Avoiding plagiarism in historical writing
- "How Writing Leads to Thinking (And not the Other Way Around)," by Lynn Hunt, from the “Art of History” column of the February 2010 issue of Perspectives on History, a publication of the American Historical Association
- "Reading, Writing, and Research for History: A Guide for College Students," Patrick Rael, Bowdoin College.
- History courses at NC State use the Chicago Style (also known as “Turabian”) for citation. Available guides for history students include:
Jules Benjamin, A Student’s Guide to History, 12th edition (Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2013).
Mary Lynn Rampolla, A Pocket Guide for Writing in History (Boston: Bedford/St. Martins, 2009.
William Kelleher Storey, Writing History: A Guide for Students, 5th edition (New York: Oxford University Press, 2015).
Kate L. Turabian, A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 8th edition (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2013).
- The Writing Resources Guide, NC State, D.H. Hill Library. This set of links includes a sub-section on Humanities and a paper writing toolkit.
- NC State Writing and Speaking Tutorial Services, which works with students seeking to improve their writing
Research Tools and Help
Library Research Portal
The Library’s research portal for History provides links to historical databases, subject guides, and research tips.
Humanities Research Librarian
Cindy Levine, the Humanities Research Librarian, is available to assist with research or answer questions and can be reached by phone or email.