Erin Seiling is the Academic Advisor for History majors. She is your first contact for advice, planning, and questions you might have. She can direct you to any other people or resources you need to consult.
Office: Withers Hall 272
Office: Withers Hall 274
Dr. Kimler is the Director of Undergraduate Programs in History. Please see him for approval of Study Abroad courses in history, and if you have questions or problems with transfer credit for history courses.
Office: Withers Hall 351
The Student-Advisor Relationship
Each student in the department of History is assigned a professionally trained Academic Advisor. You will work with your advisor from entry until gradation, allowing you to build a trusting relationship with one advisor who knows your academic and career aspirations, and who will help keep you on track to achieve your goals.
Your advisor is here to provide academic assistance as you work toward obtaining your degree in History. Through advising, we help you identify and clarify your academic interests and personal and career goals. While academic advising is a collaborative process, the ultimate responsibility for your educational experience rests with you, the student.
As a result of the academic advising experience, you will:
- Identify your academic, personal and professional goals, and incorporate these goals into course selection, academic pursuits, and co-curricular activities.
- Become familiar with the tools and resources available to support your academic success.
- course registration procedures, degree requirements, grade exclusion, academic standing, and GPA requirements
- Satisfactory Academic Progress
- graduation requirements
- The Student is an active partner in the advising relationship.
- The Student takes primary responsibility for their educational plans, and makes his/her own decisions based on available information and advice.
- The Student will read and respond to NCSU email regularly, as this is the main point of contact between Advisors and Advisees.
- The Student is responsible for scheduling and keeping appointments with the Advisor.
- The Student demonstrates courteous and professional behavior, rescheduling appointments if necessary - with notice - and coming to advising meetings prepared with questions, materials and/or topics to discuss.
- The Student keeps the Advisor informed of academic progress and shares any questions, issues, or concerns in a timely manner.
- The Student understands and uses academic tools including: MyPack Portal, the Enrollment Wizard, Student GPS, and the Degree Audit.
- The Student becomes familiar with degree/graduation requirements and the Degree Audit and is ultimately responsible for checking that courses are counting towards graduation requirements.
- The Student will become knowledgeable of campus policies, procedures and resources.
- The Student will follow through with actions agreed upon in advising sessions.
- The Advisor will create a supportive environment where mutual respect and trust allows for positive advising interactions.
- The Advisor will explain academic policies and procedures and assist in identifying resources and contacts.
- The Advisor will communicate degree requirements and explain various options for degree completion.
- The Advisor will provide an introduction and orientation to the tools and resources needed for academic success.
- The Advisor will guide decision making by providing useful advice from which you can make educated decisions.
- The Advisor will support academic success through the monitoring of academic progress; and will provide support through academic difficulties by helping create plans that address academic status concerns and progress towards degree.
- The Advisor will encourage the exploration of academic, professional, and personal goals through curricula and co-curricular opportunities.
- The Advisor will connect the advisee to campus resources and offices to support academic success and developmental growth opportunities.
- The Advisor will be accessible during office hours, e-mail and/or telephone for advising assistance.
- The Advisor will maintain confidentiality and FERPA regulations.